A Range Hood is as well known as a kitchen hood or exhaust hood. Basically a range hood is a container of a mechanical fan, and it is hung above the stove or cooked off in the kitchen.
It reduces heat, smoke, and combustion products from your kitchen’s air. So range hood is so helpful for our homemakers’ health.
But the hidden question is how to install a range hood or what is the process of vent installation. Our deep research has found the answer to this question. So today, we will inform you how to install a range hood.
A Complete Guide On How to Install A Range Hood
Hood installation means setting an exhaust hood in your kitchen. Typically we all purchase a range hood with a stove. You can also buy them separately. We provide three steps to install a range hood.
Though it is installed by professionals, you also can hook up your range hood without any assistance. You just need proper tools and our suggested steps.
How to install a kitchen hood vent? What kinds of tools are needed here? What should you do before installing a range hood? How helpful a range hood is? Are you willing to use a range hood in your kitchen?
Part One- Warm-Up Activities To Install Range Hood
If there is an old range hood in your kitchen, remove it. Then move away the wear located near the light fixture. Also, you have to disconnect all the connections and extract all the wire nuts. There are some screws that hold the hood in place. Slack the screws after holding the old range hood in place.
Uplift the hood of the screws very slowly. Then you have to lower the hood to remove the extracted screws. Next, look at your new range hood and ensure that your new range hood is large enough to offset your stovetop completely.
Here another term must be noticed: your stuff stove has to have at least 2.4 inches or 60.96-centimeter space of clearance.
But the best option is purchasing a range hood, which covers a minimum of 2.5 centimeters or one-inch area around all four sides of your kitchen or cooking area.
Before vent hood installation, You must have known about the qualification of the hood. You have to have a clear idea and knowledge that range hood will be better for your kitchen.
If you are informed about this, you can buy a range hood. Before buying and installing a kitchen hood vent, you have to know the following procedures:
- Cfm rating is the essential part of buying a range hood, and there is a level of pulling air in every range hood. Cfm rating shows us the ability to pull air each minute from your kitchen. Or it shows the ability to drag cubic air feet per minute.
So you have to buy a range hood with the correct cfm rating. You can understand what is the correct cfm rating for your kitchen by growing the square footage of your kitchen. As an expressible level, 250 cfm is considered for an average size kitchen. But 400 cfm is the best choice for your home kitchen.
- Secondly, you have to be sure about the size of the range hood. There are many sizes you will find in the market. Some most common and helpful sizes are 36 in 48 in 60 in. You can choose one of them. But you need the size as like as the size of your stovetop.
- Next, ensure that the right spot in the wall will be vented properly by the venting range hood because a range hood will vent throwback cabinets above or through the wall.
Often some customers deal with a pre-existing vent pipe when they buy a new range hood. At the hood fan installation, it needs to connect the hood with the pre-existing vent pipe. So be careful about the connectivity of the hood and vent pipe. Otherwise, you will face many troubles.
For example, if the connection isn’t proper, the cabinet may vent properly but the vent pipe incisions the wall directly. Then your range hood fails to reduce heat from your kitchen.
Usually, vent hoods are covered with many covers and filters. So pull apart all the filters from the range hood and the fan. Then use a screwdriver to detect the panels.
Panels are located at the bottom side of the hood. There is always an attached duct connector at the underside of the panels. So you have to unscrew the duct connector.
The main work of the contractor is preventing damage during shipping. At last, you have to extract the perforated duct knockout by using a slotted screwdriver and a hammer from the backside of the hood.
As metallic works are not accessible, you have to be careful that any metal around the knockout isn’t damaged. So work very slowly and carefully. If you prefer you can take help from assistance.
When you are working, shut off the electricity for your safety. Then off the light and power switches of the old range hood. There may be a plugin for your range hood. Before starting your work, unplug it.
Part Two- Preparing The Vent On Vented Hoods
Often many users replace an old vented hood with a new vented rinse pipe. Then there is a rectangle drilled shape from the past, so you haven’t drilled a rectangle or ductwork for your vent.
But if you are a new user of range hood, you will have to drill a rectangular as extra legwork after removing a recirculating range. There is always a manufacturer’s template with a range hood.
You can use the template to mark this port on the wall. A laser level can be used to help yourself to mark the imposed medium of the wall. Now you can start your drilling. Carefully drill the wall as its expected shape.
Ensure that the knockout in the range hood matches the cut-out in the wall ideally as the drilling machine is an electrical tool. You have to be careful.
After completing the cut-out now, you are ready for piping. You can use an audible. Then you have to open up a larger rectangle of the wall so that you can work efficiently.
Then you have to do three things in replacing Range Hood.
- The pipe has to leave your opening entirely free. So you have to relocate and move out the pipe. It is arduous work, so calling a professional plumber is better.
- The range hood needs support with the wall patch. So you need to drill 1×3 cleats from top to bottom of the world.
- Finally, you have to cover the hole. To cover the whole thing, use drill, tape, and mud. Then let it dry.
You need an installation of any necessary duct out. Because this duct out leads safely outside of your home.
Part Three- Hood installation
- Now you need to follow the template. Using the template, you have to mark the holes for screws and cables. Then it screws into the wall. The position of drilling screws depends on the position of the mounting hood. Here is a suggestion that you better drill the screws fully into the wall if you are launching directly into a wall using brackets.
- Next, you have to take your alignment. Then when you tighten the screws, You have to realign the hood.
- Two black wires have to connect from inside the wall to do it. Now connect the wires with your range hood, and then connect the green grounding wire. Then install an electric plug.
- The hood should be retested with filters. Then tighten it with the screws.
- Finally, connect with electricity and test the workability of the fan and light.
We are now at the ending stage of our guide regarding how to install a range hood. Our above discussion will serve a clear idea about vent installation and much more.
How to Remove Calcium Buildup In Water Heater
How to Clean a Black Stove Top Easy Way