Stainless Steel is an essential element for modern-day life in every household. The utensils used in the kitchen, the kitchen sink, and even some useful electronics such as a microwave oven or refrigerators are made from stainless steel. Because of rough and heavy usage of stainless steel, it sometimes gets deep scratches. One can buff out deep scratches from stainless steel and clean it
frequently without any damage. If the damage is severe or a part is damaged, it needs repair from an expert. But one can quickly fix minor scratches by knowing how to remove deep scratches from stainless steel, just he has to follow the easiest process
Let’s take a look at How to Remove Deep Scratches from Stainless Steel.
Some basic instructions or just some careful usage can keep the steel safe from scratches. Stainless steel isn’t made of a single material. It’s a mixture of scrapped metal along with Nickel
or Chromium. They are heated, pressurized, and molded together to give it a proper shape. It is used everywhere around the glove, and it’s very common for metal to get scratches. Although
stainless steel materials are made of durable material, scratches are inevitable. Scratch sometimes makes the steel appliance completely useless. There are three basic ways of removing scratches
from stainless steel:
• Removing scratches from household materials such as frying pan or dishes.
• Removing scratches from electronics such as refrigerator, toaster, or microwave oven.
• Removing scratches from stainless steel appliances such as kitchen sink.
While removing deep scratches, one should always try to follow the direction of the grain in a cookware or kitchen sink or any electronic product. Like wood, steel has grain. Grain refers to
tiny striations that can usually be found on the surface of the stainless steel appliance.
Removing Scratches from Household Materials:
Stainless steel is the first choice for household cookware. There are a lot of household cookwares that lose their shine and can’t be used properly due to scratches. For example, a frying pan is
a very useful cookware. There are a few compounds that can be used to remove scratches from household cookware. Materials needed for that process are:
• Dry Cloth
• Damp Cloth
• Whitening toothpaste
• Soft brush
Scratches from cookware are easy to remove with toothpaste. Toothpaste is a common and cheaper way with which anyone can remove scratches from stainless steel.
• At first, one should wipe the dirt or any filth from the surface of the cookware with the dry
• Squirt some toothpaste over the brush and keep scrubbing the area gently.
• Scrub at the direction of the grain.
• Wipe the toothpaste with the damp progress and wait for the progress. Continue the process till the scratch is completely removed.
Removing Scratches from Electronic Products:
Electronic products are part and parcel of our daily life, and they often get deep scratches. The scratches often make the electronic product look very rusty or damaged. With proper
maintenance and cleaning, we can avoid deep scratches from stainless steel fridge, microwave, or toaster. There are some materials that can be used to remove deep scratches from a
refrigerator or microwave oven. They are:
Vinegar (vinegar can be used as a cleanser, or commercial cleansers can be used for cleaning purpose).
Commercial cleanser (Ajax, Comet or Bon Ami).
Damp towel or sponge.
When mixed with elbow grease, cleansers such as Ajax or Comet can remove scratches from refrigerator doors or body. These come in both powdered and paste form. The paste form doesn’t
need any other hampering. If it’s in the powder form, one should mix water with it to form a paste.
• Mix some elbow grease with the paste and apply the paste over the scratched area with a
damp towel or sponge.
• While scrubbing the paste over the scratch, one should remember to move in the direction of
• Continue the process till the scratch is completely gone.
• Wipe the area clean with the damp cloth.
Vinegar is a good alternative to these cleansers. One can use vinegar in the same process to
remove those deep scratches.
If this process doesn’t work, there can be a plan B. Plan B is to remove the scratch using wet sandpaper. Materials needed for that are:
• Damp towel or sponge
• Microfiber cloth
While using sandpaper always be careful while using it because improper use can cause a lot more damage or deep scratches over the electronic product.
• Wet the scratched area with using a damp towel or sponge. Throughout the process, the
surface should be kept wet.
• Wet the sandpaper with water and keep it wet throughout the process.
• Scrub the scratch following the direction of the grain till the scratch is removed to your satisfaction.
• When the scratch is gone, wipe the area with the damp towel in the direction of the grain.
• Pat the area dry with a microfiber cloth.
• Continue the process till the scratch is gone.
Removing Scratches from Stainless Steel Appliance:
Stainless steel appliances such as the kitchen sink can be easily damaged with deep scratches. The kitchen sink is heavily used in every household, and thus, it’s really hard to avoid these scratches. To remove scratches, one can use a commercial cleaner, cleaning product, or rough cleaning pad. The materials that can be used are:
• Commercial scratch removers or rough cleaning pad
• Microfiber cloth
While removing the scratch, one should follow the direction of the grain in the kitchen sink.
• Use a scratch remover for a deeper scratch.
• Apply a light amount of pressure on the scratch remover. Apply enough pressure that the scratch comes out of the sink but doesn’t do any further damage.
• After the scratch is buffed away, use a microfiber cloth to remove the remaining of the scratch remover.
One can easily remove deep scratches from any stainless steel appliance if they follow these basic instructions. But as the saying goes, “Prevention is better than cure,” it’s always better to
handle the stainless steel appliances with delicacy and safer hands. It’s hard to avoid scratches, but proper maintenance can reduce the damage.